Before I even start I want to say that (and I think it’s a shame I even need to qualify this) I’m deeply personally invested in social justice issues. I don’t consider myself a social justice activist (because I don’t do any activism) but I align myself with the cause, do my reading and I like to keep my mind open.
With that said: I think this is ridiculous. Here we find someone excusing blanketing statements of hate. Not only that, but this person is also shaming anyone who takes issue with said expression of hate. I had to put my phone down after reading this post because I was so stunned. To put it simply: what the fuck, tumblr.
I’m gay. I’ve had some straight people say mean things to me. I do not hate straight people. As such, I would never say “I hate straight people” because it doesn’t fucking make any sense for me to say that (and also because I have quite a few straight friends and being mean to your friends is shitty). Unless, like a magician with misdirection, what I really meant was “I hate that being gay is considered abnormal and unnatural by some.” But then, why wouldn’t I just say that?
What this is, is excuses. You can be the biggest douche you want to be, because as long as you’re not straight, or not a cis male, or not white, you’re completely incapable of really offending someone. Yours, in a discourse on social justice, are the only feelings that matter. Fuck everyone else. And if they take offence, you should tell them why they are wrong to be offended.
Suddenly, the oppressed adopt the methods, false logic and superiority of the oppressors.
Nobody wins when it comes to shit like this. The entire social justice cause gets painted with the “crazy” brush, and all the homophobes and misogynists and racists get more fuel for their fires and we don’t go anywhere as a culture.
I screenshotted this from lnfamy because she’s been one of my favourite bloggers for quite a few years now and I was a bit surprised to see this post reblogged by her. If you read this, I hope you don’t take anything I’ve said the wrong way. To me you’re an inspiration, as a young person and a tumblr user. If we can have a discussion on this I’d be happy (I posted this so I wouldn’t add another message to your likely full inbox).
- hermitlikecrab likes this
- nochtsymfoniya likes this
- disgruntled-moans likes this
- dontfireleyland likes this
- zombierainbowsprinkles reblogged this from chakrabot
- stace-a-roo reblogged this from pants-for-your-bottom
- bunnybees reblogged this from srlac
- srlac likes this
- srlac reblogged this from astanine
- lgbtetc reblogged this from astanine and added:
- astanine reblogged this from skyfalls-anticodon
- skyfalls-anticodon reblogged this from cocokat
- blaazzt likes this
- mushnoob reblogged this from awkwardo-flipendo
- awkwardo-flipendo reblogged this from fushimi-kun
- maplelithe reblogged this from daveychan
- lord-jagi likes this
- unknownusername likes this
- scrapophillia likes this
- acciofizzingwhizzbees- likes this
- helix-freefall-262 likes this
- kivvakyuui likes this
- kivvakyuui reblogged this from jacknoir
- halb-nichts reblogged this from sherlockisaslytherin
- iflops reblogged this from beneaththeundergrowth
- bat-ette likes this
- openmindandchange likes this
- motherparkin likes this
- beneaththeundergrowth reblogged this from wouldyoulikeifi
- wouldyoulikeifi reblogged this from lesbromosexual
- brittanarocks likes this
- lesbromosexual reblogged this from excitify
- lesbromosexual likes this
- themugglepeasant reblogged this from laursicle
- wowlenayoureanatural reblogged this from genocideer
- evangeleijon likes this
- genocideer reblogged this from becnoir
- kennyvee likes this
- wendel likes this
- bookslesparks reblogged this from lizawithazed
- bookslesparks likes this
- laursicle reblogged this from captainthundernuts
- urbanweasel likes this
- bringmetheheadofdylan reblogged this from sweatyasscrack
- sweatyasscrack reblogged this from basedrubby
- captainthundernuts reblogged this from excitify
- captainthundernuts likes this
- therewillbenoshame likes this